Alcoholic contains hypoglycemic effects which alter blood sugar levels thus preventing the liver from producing sugar especially when a person is consuming insulin which leads to the risk of hypoglycemia. People who suffer from type 2 diabetes need to have control over their alcohol consumption as they contain a lot of sugar.
WAYS TO AVOID ALCOHOL:
1. Talk to your doctor on how to control the consumption of alcohol and seek proper advice.
2. Monitoring blood sugar levels regularly to avoid complications
3. Consume a lot of fluids like water and fruit juices that are rich in vitamins beneficial for the wellbeing of the human body.
4. Consume one glass of wine that is low in sugar instead of drinking hard drinks like whiskey, vodka, rum, and gin.
5. Set a drinking goal and keep note using a diary to slowly reduce your alcohol intake to minimal.
6. Avoid storing alcoholic beverages at home which will tempt you to drink when you are free or when friends visit your place.
7. Keep yourself busy in some activity and implement sports activities that will make you sweat out and help you achieve your fitness goals.
8. Ask for support from friends and family and attend mutual support groups.
9. Try to avoid bad company especially when going out to parties or social events that serve alcohol.
10. Learn to control your temptations and be strong with your decisions.
11. Be persistent and concentrate on work or business and set goals to achieve big in life.
12. Maintain a healthy lifestyle by implementing good food habits that have health benefits.
13. Know your addiction, trigger and focus on avoiding them when possible.
14. Read and learn about the benefits of quitting alcohol
15. If you have the urge to drink alcohol, distract yourself by engaging yourself by going for a walk, doing household stuff and talking to your loved ones, which will restrict your urge.
16. Don’t give up on yourself and don’t let guilt consume you.
17. Track the amount of money you can save in quitting alcohol and treat yourself with the money you save by shopping, dining out etc.
18. Consume Vitamin B supplements every day.
19. Embrace the psychological benefits of sobriety.