Coconut oil, an edible oil extracted from meat of giant nut harvested from coconut palm tree. It has unique high saturated fat content, slow to oxidize. Thus it can last up to six months at 25o C without spoiling. Due to its high levels of saturated fat, several American and British organizations advice that coconut oil consumption should be limited or avoided. This made most people confused about whether they consume coconut oil regularly or not. Well, American Heart Association (AHA) recommends 30 grams for men and 20 grams for women on daily basis.
According to AHA, our body actually needs coconut oil. It enhances our immune function and protect the liver from toxins. Also, saturated fats of coconut oil may increase LDL cholesterol levels thus reduce inflammation naturally. Reducing inflammation is essential as it is a major reason of heart disease and many other severe conditions. According to me, coconut oil, if used considerably, is good for heart health, reducing inflammation and boosting energy levels.
Here are the list of how coconut oil benefits the body:
- Natural saturated fats of coconut oil increases the healthy cholesterol (HDL) and converts bad cholesterol (LDL) into good cholesterol. Increased HDL helps promote heart health and lowers the risk of heart disease. Coconut oil also lowers high triglycerides.
- Coconut oil is proven best in improving UTI and kidney infections. MCFA in the oil works as an antibiotic by disrupting the lipid coating on bacteria and killing them. This oil also protects liver damage.
- The high levels of antioxidants of virgin coconut oil reduces inflammation and improve arthritis.
- MCFAs have the ability to be absorbed easily in the body and can be accessed in the brain without the use of insulin. Thus coconut oil improves the memory problem in old age.
- Coconut oil has been used for ages in hair massage. Its unique fat composition makes it especially beneficial for hair. It can be used as a hair mask, hot oil treatment etc.
- Antimicrobial properties of coconut oil can help you fight irritation and infection in gut from candida.
- Coconut oil contains specific fats that help the body’s natural hormone production.
- Coconut oil containing lauric acid and caprylic acid, have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties that make it best for immune system.
- It can help speedy weight loss if consumed daily.
- Its daily intake improves insomnia.
- It is proved to be beneficial while dealing with depression and anxiety.
- During pregnancy, it helps provide necessary fats for development to baby.
- Its natural antibacterial properties make it helpful in fighting odor and acts as deodorant.
- Coconut oil is an excellent eye-makeup remover.
- It lightens age spots when applied directly on the skin.
- It works great as a tanning
- Mix with sea salt to remove dry skin on feet.
- Mix it with baking soda and use it as a naturally whitening toothpaste.
- Apply on cuticles to help nails to grow.
- Rub of elbows daily to help alleviate dry elbows.
- Apply on body to avoid chlorine exposure while swimming.
- It can increase bone strength by allowing better absorption of calcium, vitamin D, and many other minerals.
- Fatty acids in coconut oil are seen as boosting brain function in Alzheimer’s
- It has seen reversing hepatosteatosis, a liver disease.
- Inhaling coconut oil has helped in reducing asthma
- When applied on wound, coconut oil forms a layer that protects the wounded part from external dust, fungi, bacteria and viruses.
- It helps in controlling blood sugar and improves the insulin secretion. It works great in preventing and managing diabetes.
- Coconut oil improves antioxidant levels and can slow the aging process. It supports detoxification hence makes liver healthy. Applying on skin provides additional health benefits and smoothing.
Use coconut oil that too virgin, in moderation. Avoid purchasing packaged foods that contain partially hydrogenated coconut oil. Store coconut oil in cool, dark place.
This is only a glimpse. People are using coconut oil since ages in all possible ways and are getting great results.