Acidity, also known as acid reflux, is a very common problem affecting many people. This condition is portrayed by heartburn feeling around the lower chest area. The reason of this heart burn is the stomach acid flowing back up into the food pipe. It’s hard to believe for many of us that unhealthy food habit and wrong lifestyle choices are one of the main cause of acidity.
We know that the food we eat, passes into the stomach. The gastric glands present in the stomach create acid (Hydrochloric acid - HCl) to get the food digested and also to kill any germs. Acidity occurs when the acid created by gastric glands are produced in more than required amount for digestion process. This condition creates a burning sensation just above the stomach or below the breastbone. This condition raises due to heavy consumption of oily and spicy food.
Over consumption of alcohol, obesity, consuming spicy food, pregnancy, diabetes, asthma, peptic ulcers etc. are some of the reasons of acidity.
Causes of Acidity
The harsh effects of acids (produced by stomach for digestion) are stabilized by the production of prostaglandins and natural bicarbonate which are secreted in mucous lining. This hurts the stomach lining and thus causes acidity. Several other causing factors for acidity include:
- Consumption of fatty or spicy foods.
- Missing proper meals and sticking on junk food.
- Drinking too much alcohol.
- Stress and hectic daily schedule.
- Lack of sleep
- Medicines consumed for high blood pressure, anxiety and depression, antibiotics.
- Excessive consumption of tea, coffee, soda, junk food
- Wrong eating patterns etc.
Symptoms of Acidity
Few of the symptoms of acidity include:
- Burning sensation in chest
- Burning sensation in throat and heart
- Burning sensation in stomach
- Bitter taste in mouth due to backing up of bitter tasting acid
- Post-meal heaviness
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Bad breath
and many more.
Home Remedies of Acidity
Till now, we have understood that how uncomfortable one can feel through Acidity. We have already discussed that excessive secretion of hydrochloric acid generates acidity. Several home remedies can make it easy to treat this condition.
Some of the common remedies are: consuming cumin seeds, orange juice, cloves, milk, honey, ginger, jaggery, coconut water, coriander leaves, green leafy vegetables, sprouts etc.
Few other natural home remedies which can help treating acidity to some extent in most of the people are:
- Drinking water – It is always advised to drink two glasses of water daily in the morning. This maintains the acid level and dilutes excess acid produced.
- Milk – Drink milk or other dairy products to acidity away. Drinking 100 ml of cold milk after one hour of having heavy meals is seen resulting great to cut down acidity.
- Holy Basil – Consume cleaned and washed leaves of holy basil daily that, too empty stomach, if suffering from acidity.
- Ginger – It is recommended to add ginger in every possible food to keep body’s pH levels balanced. Also, the mixture of ginger juice, roasted cumin seeds and rock salt are found best for the treatment of acidity.
- Aloe Vera – Consumption of aloe Vera gel has also proved best for curing acidity.
- Mint leaves – Chew mint leaves with boiled water to keep acidity away.
- Jaggery – Try consuming 10 grams of jaggery daily along with your meal.
- White Vinegar – One should take two spoons of white vinegar daily with every meal to get relief from heartburn and for proper digestion of food.
- Oranges – Orange juice with added salt are found effective in treating acidity.
- Fresh Fruits and dry fruits – Cucumber, almonds, lemon juice and watermelon are suggested foods to avoid acidity.
- Coconut water – It is helpful in restoring the proper secretion of acid.
Though home remedies are best for treating any problem but it is advised, not to completely rely on them if your symptoms are severe. If experiencing too much discomfort, then strictly go for doctor’s advice.